תפריט
שלום Anonymous ::: 2024, 07:37
Facebook
musical act magazine המגזין הישראלי לטכנולוגיות באודיו ומוסיקה Musical Act Magazine
BA in sound engineering?
שרשרת זו הוגדרה כמועילה (100) › תצורת הדפסה
לך לעמוד 1, 2   הבא
 הגב לנושא
שימו לב: ההודעה האחרונה בשרשרת זו נכתבה לפני יותר משנה.
חשוב היטב לפני שיגור מענה לשרשרת זו
   ראשי » לימודים, הוראה, ספרות מקצועית ומוסדות לימוד
  bigwigs  
הצטרף: 12 דצמ' 03
הודעות: 24
מיקום: י-ם
BA in sound engineering?
הודעה פורסם: רביעי 08 יונ',05 21:29   
Three years ago or so, I had a coversation over a few beers with a biggish-league studio owner and a couple of well-known audio engineers about breaking into the record-making business. I was (and remain) the low man on the totem pole here, having been a low-paid assistant on some high-budget sessions and a low-paid engineer on some low-budget sessions. This was after a conference.

The studio owner said something to the effect of, "You know who I would pay good money for? A licenced electrician with a music degree. The kids I get out of recording school are worse interns than the guys who are just playing in a band and want to learn about this stuff. The last thing I need is some kid who had to go to school to learn how to use a compressor who thinks he's too good to sweep floors and make coffee."

There was a general consensus that the knowledge required to make a good engineer was both more technical and more creative than you could learn in school. Every person at the table agreed that being willing to work for nothing or close to nothing had gotten them further than any level of "recording" education could get.

Making records is an apprenticeship art, kind of like being a blacksmith, or a glass-blower, or a cabinet-maker. There is nothing that you have to offer unless you can deliver the result that rich people or businesses want that they can't get from a department store. (I'm not speaking of you in particular, Phillip, just generally). Reputation counts a thousand times more than credentials do.

In the world of major-label record-making, someone with a "recording arts" degree is no more likely to be a producer than someone with a music degree is likely to get a record contract. I have never been what you would call a "player" in the record business, or anything close to it, but I've recorded and played on songs that you can still hear on the radio, if you listen to eclectic college stations and the like, and I've worked with and am friends with some people who are bona-fide rock stars, though not quite U2- or Madonna-level.

When I used to make my (pretty limited) living making records and making music, I worked with some people who had both recording degrees and excellent connections--i.e. brothers or uncles who were rock stars or label executives or whatever. Most of them worked under me, for less than 8 bucks an hour (I wasn't making much more).

The record-making business is a very ruthless, but also a very egailtarian one. Everybody wants in, and the only thing anyone cares about is hit records. Black, white, brown or plaid, it doesn't matter where you come from or who you are or what your so-called credentials mean, the only thing ANYBODY cares about, is can you make them a star. What is surprising is how much this is true not only of the mooks, but also of the artists. When it comes down to it, nobody really believes in talent anymore, and everyone thinks they have it anyway. The only thing people in the biz really care about is whether you have the VooDoo magic that turns songs into hits.

My advice would be to get a degree in computer science or electrical engineering or embedded systems engineering, with maybe a double-major in music. The only place you are likely to find a degree in recording is at a recording arts school, and most studios, for an entry-level position, are more concerned about your ability to keep track of lunch orders than your ability to apply dither, and your recording arts degree will be about as valuable as an Egyptian literature degree anyplace else.

Hanging around at local recording studios and being a pain in the ass will likely land you an unpaid or low-paid internship at which you will easily learn as much or more than you would get in a classroom, and you will also get the chance to develop a reputation and conncetions, and save many thousands of dollars. Doing this while you earn a degree in electrical engineering will make you a valuable commodity.

Be aware that the recording industry is a shrinking and elitist one, where minimum-wage or no-wage assistants work for million-dollar producers. It is shrinking rapidly, and is likely to continue to do so as more and more people, both musicans and listeners, turn to podcasts, satellite radio, webcasts, and mp3s to satisfy their ever-broadening tastes in music.

If you want to learn how to make better recordings, then by all means go for it. But I bet a year of hanging around these forums, asking smart questions, and pestering local studios for a position as unpaid floor-sweeper teaches you more that you'd get from recording school.

Cheers.
shem_tov
S.Supporter
הצטרף: 30 דצמ' 01
הודעות: 2058
הודעה פורסם: רביעי 08 יונ',05 21:49   
#thumbsup תמיד נחמד לשמוע קצת סיפורים מהעולם הרחב, אגב בארצנו הקטנה התעשיה יותר מצומקת ממילא , אך גם פחות כרישית, ממילא אין טונה עסיסית במיים. (טונה=כסף גדול).
Gantlett
Supporter
הצטרף: 06 יול' 02
הודעות: 1173
מיקום: Down Under
הודעה פורסם: חמישי 09 יונ',05 08:38   
אחלה סיפור.

ממש מעורר מחשבה... #read

כל הכבוד! #thumbsup
הודעות: 758
הודעה פורסם: שבת 11 יונ',05 00:42   
:?: למען האמת ...סיפור די מבאס...
לא נעים לשמוע כל הזמן כמה התחום הזה "עני" או כמה קשה להשתלב בתעשייה...
יש דברים שיותר טוב לחשוב בשקט #smile
יהיה בסדר!
shaharv
S.Supporter
הצטרף: 25 יונ' 01
הודעות: 5210
מיקום: רעננה
הודעה פורסם: שבת 11 יונ',05 10:15   
It's not about WHAT / WHERE you study, It's about HOW you do it.
I'v read a very nice editorial by Paul White @ SOS , july 2004:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul04/articles/leader.htm

Anyway, from the other side, the young wannabe engineers' point of view, you can blatantlly see how it's the STUDIOS fault!

At least from my expiriences with studio owners, i can tell you that the studios are the ones choosing the easier options of not finding good, dedicated hard working interns/assistants, and opting for the "my wife's cousin's neighbour" approach

Those studio's themselves are putting off the good future engineers by not paying them even the minumum amounts( BTW, VERY illegal in Israel, even an intern must be payed as an employee) so they can support themselves, and this approach is also one that promot's interns that are not satisfied with their employer, gives the industry a bad rep in their eye and discourges them off being an engineer.

SO? you might ask, this is how it has been all those years, 'survival of the fittest' right?
well, it might be, but today, when studios ARE getting smaller, and a lot of people tend to choose to work at their own 'studio', the 'real' ones MUST choose the right poeple.
they must bring something back into the undustry.

I lost track of the times i'v been put off by studios just because i came off the street (or the net) , the numbers of studios who did'nt even had the decency to call or mail back and at least give the polite" we got your call/email, you are not what we are not hiring ATMO", or that one studio that i refused to work entirelly for free ( buss & sandwich money is all i asked), got turned off, and 3 months down the line, when the intern they got instead of me left them (he wanted to pay the rent AND eat, silly him) they alled me again to see if i would like to work. for free obviouslly.

Think about it.
Gantlett
Supporter
הצטרף: 06 יול' 02
הודעות: 1173
מיקום: Down Under
הודעה פורסם: שלישי 14 יונ',05 14:34   
שחר אתה צודק כל כך, אני יודע בדיוק על מה אתה מדבר - עברתי את זה כמה פעמים בחיי (אפילו ראובן יודע על הפעם האחרונה - שיגעתי לו את השכל קצת אבל הוא היה, כהרגלו, אכפתי ומבין - הוא האוזן הכי טובה שהזדקקתי לה באותם רגעי זעם והוא עזר לי כל כך!). סרבתי לעבוד בחינם באולפן גדול ואף ספגתי כמה דברי השפלה מהג'ורה של מנהל האולפן בנוגע לידע שלי ול"כישורים" (או לפי דבריו "חוסר הכישורים") של כל הנפשות העובדות באולפנים שעבדתי בהם קודם לכן (כשחלק מהן עשו הרבה יותר ממנו במהלך חייהם ומוכשרים ממנו).

תופעה זו של ניצול משווע יש להוקיעה ולהתלונן מיד על החוצפנים והנבלים שממשיכים לטפח אותה. לצערי, חלק מהם קורא שורות אלה וממשיך במעשיו כאילו הוא חסין מפני החוק.

מי יתן ויום אחד נוכל להתפרנס כאן בכבוד... #ugh
מיקום: UK
הודעה פורסם: שלישי 14 יונ',05 15:20   
i must add something from a diffrent point of view, im currently doing a BA in music tech in the uk, one of the modules is called professional development which we had to go and find a job or a work placement for the summer, i manged to get a placement in a post production studio in london. of course its unpaid but i must say that i was treated the nicest i was ever treated in any job i did in my life, my job was half the day making tea coffee and in the afternoon i would go into the sound studio to sit with the engineer. the engineer explained me everything he did without me even asking questions , really i never met such a nice guy, i though i was gonna be a pain in the ass but i must say i was suprised. i asked him for his qulifications and he did the same course that i did and he also mentioned that all the sound people in that studio has some kind of education. that doesnt mean that once i graduate i will be in the studio. of course im am going to be a runner first which is a paid job. none of the runners in that studio were working for free, its all paid. i dont know anyone working for free in a studio in the uk unless you are really young and have none education experince etc. but a runner is a paid job in the uk. sometime you have to be a runner for a year before you become a sound assistent thats fair enough but they can't not pay you for that job you did. and most time they treat you nice,
the advantage of having that degree, first shows that you can actually dedicate to something, after all a degree doesnt come that easy.second lets say you get a runner job and the other runner in the company doenst have any education, its most likely you will get the assistent job first since you probably know shit loads more then the other guy, and one last thing you got to be LUCKY.
good luck to everyone..
hendrix1406
Act Compatible
הצטרף: 17 יונ' 02
הודעות: 455
לכל המנצלים והמנוצלים
הודעה פורסם: שלישי 14 יונ',05 16:47   
אם כבר מדברים על הנושא הזה (שחוויתי אותו על בשרי כמו רבים בפורום הזה)
איך זה באמת שאף אחד (כולל אני)
לא מעיז להרים את הכפפה ולתבוע את אותם בעלי אולפנים נצלנים
שהופכים את כל המקצוע הזה לשוק עבדים אחד גדול.
אז נכון, אין ספק שבשבועיים של עבודה באולפן גדול למדתי יותר ממה שלמדתי בשנתיים
במכללה לסאונד (שלא אזכיר את שמה מכיוון שזה לא רלוונטי).
אבל בכל זאת בן אדם אמור להתקיים ממשהו,הוא תורם רבות לתחזוקת האולפן בכל צורה שלא תסתכלו על זה והוא אמור לקבל חזרה הרבה יותר מסתם את האפשרות ללמוד להיות טכנאי.
בכל מקצוע אחר,גם בתקופת הסטאג' מקבלים לפחות את שכר המינימום,למה שזה לא יהיה
גם במקצוע הזה?!
אני מציע ליצור תקדים ולעשות משהו בנושא.
icejoker
הצטרף: 27 ספט' 02
הודעות: 161
הודעה פורסם: ראשון 06 נוב',05 12:27   
גם אני נמצא כרגע בספוט הזה :S

זה כל כך מדכא וחשבתי לא פעם לעזוב את המקצוע למרות שאני בשנה הראשונה שלי בעבודה

אחרי הלימודים

אבל מה שעברתי בשנה הזאת על בשרי #ugh

ולצערי אם אלך לאולפן אחר כרגע זה שוב להתחיל מחדש ולא לקבל כסף 3 חודשים

פשוט מייאש
motaboy
Act Compatible
הצטרף: 22 יונ' 05
הודעות: 902
מיקום: In the mouth of madness
הודעה פורסם: ראשון 06 נוב',05 18:33   
התעודדתי לשמוע את הסיפורים מהUK. אנשים אחרים, מנטליות אחרת, גם אם אתה מכין קפה וקונה אוכל לחבר'ה משלמים לך שכר מינימום.
מישהו יכול לספר על החוויות מארץ האפשרויות הבלתי מוגבלות (=ע"ע אמריקה) ?
 הגב לנושא
שימו לב: ההודעה האחרונה בשרשרת זו נכתבה לפני יותר משנה.
חשוב היטב לפני שיגור מענה לשרשרת זו
   ראשי » לימודים, הוראה, ספרות מקצועית ומוסדות לימוד

לך לעמוד 1, 2   הבא
עמוד 1 מתוך 2

עשוי לעניין אותך :
:: תקנון